The AR7 Receiver Restoration Project
image to view full size
About three years ago I
purchased a WW2 AR7 receiver made by Kingsley Radio. It was full of rust
and insects, and the panel was badly damaged. It was put away in a box
awaiting a decision on its fate. I am pleased to say that it is up and
running again after a tedious restoration (some would say rebuild)
This section will be updated
again soon with the final photos of the receiver and it will also
contain more details of the project and a little history of the
Australian copy of the HRO, the AR7 receiver
The old AR7 in the
condition it was in when purchased.
The underside was
reasonably clean but most of the resistors were original and very
The front panel was very damaged, knobs
missing and note the thick rust in the coil receptacle area
The unit was stripped down
to the last piece of metal and all the metal was cadmium plated and
passivated. The braid was replaced with new but since the plating would
not accept solder, solder lugs were used for all chassis connections.
The advantage is that major components can now be replaced if necessary
without too much trouble.
The valve sockets were
replaced with the brown molded type from Command receivers of the same
vintage. The AR7 sockets were quite useless. A major problem was the
contact strip which makes connection with the HRO style plug in coils.
It was broken into three pieces. It was glued together, reinforced with
a strip of fiber-glass and all contacts re-riveted back on.
The front panel, being
springy stainless steel was quite impossible to straighten. It was
replaced with a cleaner one from another AR7. This one had been painted
grey, and I ask, for what reason? People do strange things. The paint
was removed with paint stripper and there was a nice panel underneath.
Yes, there are a few wires
to tidy up. I have had to turn up a valve shield on the lathe for one of
the 6U7G's. I am looking for a set of original valve shields if anybody
can spare them. I need 7 shields in all.
The underside of the
receiver as it now is. It still resembles an AR7 as I went to great
lengths to get as many components as close to their original position as
possible. Most of the small components have been replaced with new ones.
Even the old wiring loom has been replaced with a new one made from PVC
wire. There is still more work to be done but the unit has been fired up
and is working fine. A bit of the wiring still has to be tidied up and a
phone socket added. It will be used mainly for AM contacts in the VK2BA